Stop error when you try to download updates from Windows Update on a computer that is running Windows Vista: "0x80070246"
When you try to download updates from Windows Update on a computer that is running Windows Vista, you may receive the following Stop error message:
STOP 0x80070246Additionally, the following entry may be logged in the WindowsUpdate.log file:
Automatic Updates Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070246: "Name of Update"Note The WindowsUpdate.log file is in the following location:
This problem occurs if the GlobalInstallOrder.xml file is corrupted. The GlobalInstallOrder.xml file is in the following location:
To resolve this problem, replace the corrupted GlobalInstallOrder.xml file on the system with the same file from the Windows Vista installation media. To do this, follow these steps:
- Obtain the WIM filter driver from the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK). To download and install the Windows AIK, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, click Microsoft Windows AIK, right-click Windows PE Tools Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password. If you are prompted to continue, click Continue.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER. MD c:\MountThis command creates a folder that is named Mount.
- Put the Windows Vista installation media in the CD or DVD drive.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:Imagex /mount DVDDriveLetter\sources\install.wim 1 \mount
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:CD\mount\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_07289f4cca5f6990This command moves to the source folder
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: xcopy GlobalInstallOrder.xml %windir%\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_07289f4cca5f6990This command copies the GlobalInstallOrder.xml file to the destination folder.
For more information about how to use the Sfc.exe tool to replace the corrupted file, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
929833 Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding
Article ID: 942968 - Last Review: 09/27/2011 21:53:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Windows Update, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition, Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition, Microsoft Update
- kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot kbprb KB942968