To keep your Surface looking and working great, clean the touchscreen and keyboard frequently, and keep your Surface covered when you're not using it.
- General cleaning
- Battery health
- Touchscreen care
- Cover and keyboard care
- Alcantara® material care
- Power cord care
General cleaning recommendations
To keep your Surface looking and working great, use a soft lint-free cloth (microfiber cloths work great) dampened with a little bit of mild soap and water, or screen wipes. Clean every 3-6 months or whenever needed.
Don't apply liquids directly to your Surface.
All rechargeable batteries wear out eventually. Here's how to get the longest life from your battery:
- Once a month, let your battery drain below half way before charging it.
- Avoid having your Surface plugged in 24/7.
- Store your Surface in a cool, dry room when you're not using it.
If you plan to store your Surface for an extended period of time, charge it to 50% every six months to help make sure it stays chargeable.
For more battery saving tips, see Surface battery and power.
Scratches, finger grease, dust, chemicals, and ultraviolet light can affect the performance of your touchscreen. Here are a few things you can do to help protect the screen:
- Clean frequently. The Surface touchscreen is coated to make it easier to clean. You don't need to rub hard to remove fingerprints or oily spots. Use a soft, lint-free cloth (either dry or dampened with water or eyeglass cleaner—never glass or other chemical cleaners) or a screen cleaning wipe to gently wipe the screen.
- Keep it out of the sun. Don't leave your Surface in direct sunlight for a long time. Ultraviolet light and excessive heat can damage the display.
- Keep it covered. Close the cover when you're taking your Surface with you, or if you're not using it.
Cover and keyboard care
There's not much you need to do to keep he Touch Cover or Type Cover require working its best. To clean it, wipe with a lint-free cloth dampened in mild soap and water. Don't apply liquids directly to your Surface or to the cover. Do this often to keep your Touch Cover or Type Cover looking great.
If the spine or magnetic connections of your cover get dirty or stained, apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol) to a soft, lint-free cloth to clean.
Alcantara® material care
Some Surface devices and accessories feature spill and absorption-resistant Alcantara® material.
To keep the Alcantara looking good, wipe it with a lint-free white cloth dampened with a mild soap and water solution or a screen cleaning wipe whenever needed.
If you spill something on the Alcantara material, try to clean it within 30 minutes to help prevent any stains from setting. Use swirling motions, gently clean with a white line-free cloth dampened with soap and water. A simple solution of two parts water to one part mild soap (like hand soap) will do. Wipe dry using a clean light-colored cloth.
Power cord care
Power cords, like any other metal wire or cable, can be weakened or damaged if repeatedly twisted or bent in the same spot. Here are a few things you can do to keep your power cord from being damaged:
- Avoid twisting or pinching your power cord.
- Don't wrap your power cord too tightly, especially around the power brick. Instead, wrap it using loose coils rather than tight angles.
Correct: Cord wrapped loosely
Incorrect: Cord wrapped too tightly
- Inspect your power cord regularly, especially where it joins the power brick.
- Avoid pulling on the power cord when unplugging your Surface. Gently removing the connector from the charging connector can help prevent damage to your power cord.
Correct: Unplugging gently
Incorrect: Tugging on cord to unplug
- If you find any damage on any part of your Surface chargers cords, stop using the cord and contact us for support options.
For more info about safely cleaning and caring for your Surface, see Safety and regulatory information.