Important When you install this update (2911106) from Windows Update, update 2914218 are included in the installation.
This article describes the update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 that is dated January 2014. This update rollup package includes performance and reliability improvements for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines.
Issues that this update fixes
This update package fixes the issues that are documented in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles:
- 2870467 Memory leak in Oleaut32.dll on a Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based COM server
- 2891804 Files or folders are removed unexpectedly when you perform a cut-and-paste operation on a Windows FTP client that is connected to an FTP site
- 2897602 FIX: TCP connections that use ephemeral loopback addresses are dropped suddenly in Windows
- 2910642 Video playback in Windows Media Player stutters or stops in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1
- 2908931 Camera image orientation on viewfinder of display screens are rotated 90 degree on a Windows 8.1-based Portrait-First device
- 2911039 Scheduled task in Windows restarts unexpectedly after computer restarts
- 2912225 ADAC crashes when you try to use the global search in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2913016 Error message when you try to print some XPS files by using XPS Viewer in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2913218 English IME is set as the default IME instead of a localized IME after OOBE wizard in Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2913312 Ctrl+Alt+Del keyboard shortcut is not displayed on the logon screen to tell the user how to reach the credential prompt in Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2913317 Autocorrection feature does not remember user decisions in Windows 8.1
- 2913765 Certain cameras cannot be used as removable drives in Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2914002 Update fixes several Windows Store app-related issues
- 2914011 Update resolves a Windows Store app issue and a printer issue
- 2914180 You cannot connect to FTP servers through a Wi-Fi hot spot
- 2914211 Internet Explorer tab freezes when it makes a COM call to a suspended tab
- 2914217 Duplicate files in a symbolic link folder after you upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1
- 2914219 USB storage device does not work correctly in Windows 8.1 and in Windows Server 2012 R2
How to obtain the update
Windows UpdateThis update is available from Windows Update.
- This update is provided as an important update.
- If you select the Install updates automatically (recommended) Windows Update setting, this update is automatically installed.
- If you select other Windows Update settings, we highly recommend that you immediately install this update through Windows Update.
Microsoft Download CenterYou can also obtain the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. For more information, go to the Microsoft Download Center, and then search for KB2911106.
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must be running Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, or Windows RT 8.1.
Restart informationYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace any previously released update.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates