Issues that are fixed
- 3007773 Client communication problem in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- The Winlogon process may close unexpectedly during logon or logoff on Windows Embedded systems that have the Configuration Manager client installed. This causes Stop error c000021a.
Software distribution and application management
- 3007095 Applications may not be downloaded in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Removing a user who's assigned to a primary device triggers the removal of all policies that are assigned to that device, even when there are other users assigned.
- Deleting packages in environments that have many (thousands) of distribution points may take longer than expected and may block other package distribution operations.
- Pull distribution points may download an earlier version instead of the most recent version of frequently updated packages.
- When you pre-stage many packages on Pull distribution points and you use a distribution point as the source, the operation may fail. In this situation, errors that resemble the following are recorded in the Ccmexec.log file on the Pull distribution point:Failed to get a WriteLock
- Enabling the Limit to specific maximum transfer rate by hour distribution point property limits package distribution to one every 20 minutes.
Network Access Protection
- Clients that use Network Access Protection (NAP) may return an inaccurate "Not Compliant" status to the System Health Validator Point. This blocks access to corporate resources. This issue may occur if a required software update was revised but the Effective Date setting of the revision was not updated.
Operating system deployment
- 2940326 Default logging variables unexpectedly used during task sequence in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- The Create Task Sequence Media Wizard cannot be completed if an application dependency is shared between two or more separate applications.
- The Administrator Console returns a SQL error when you delete a collection from a child primary site if there are more than five primary sites in the hierarchy.
Site servers and site systems
- The Replication Configuration Monitor component fails with an "InvalidOperationException" error when the .NET Connection pool is full. This issue may occur in scenarios where an additional database is hosted on the same instance of SQL Server that contains a site database, and when that additional database cannot be accessed by Configuration Manager. An error sequence that resembles the following appears in the rcmctrl.log file.
Note These entries are edited for brevity.Error: Received unhandled SQL exception, printing info and throwing it again. This will be retried in next cycle.
Error: Exception message: [The target database, 'TESTDB', is participating in an availability group and is currently not accessible for queries. Either data movement is suspended or the availability replica is not enabled for read access.
DRS sync started.
Error: Received unhandled exception, printing info and throwing it again. This will be retried in next cycle.
Error: System.InvalidOperationException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.
- 3000794 Upgrade scripts may be unsuccessful when you apply Cumulative Update 3 for System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Collections that contain multiple nested dependent collections may not always evaluate. This issue returns inaccurate membership data.
- Installing a cumulative update on a site unnecessarily copies the whole client installation bundle to any Pull distribution points.
- Processing of state and status messages is slower than expected following a change in client settings that generates a large volume of messages. For example, this problem may occur when client communication are changed from HTTPS to HTTP.
- The status of the Reporting Services Point role is set to a Critical (Failed) state in environments that use many role-based access control groups and multiple domains. Errors that resemble the following are logged in the srsrp.log file:Failed to set security policy on folder [/path/subfolder]. SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
- Trying to enroll a device in a user collection that contains security groups fails with an "access denied" error.
- Inventory data that's collected from mobile devices and the Windows Intune connector may be for the wrong device if two devices synchronize at the same time.
- The Exchange Server Connector does not perform a full synchronization when multiple concurrent remote PowerShell connections are active at the same time on the same Exchange Online account.
- 2990658 Hotfix extends client notification in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager to MDM devices
- 3002291 Mobile Device Management settings are not applied to cloud-managed users in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- A data migration job may time out when it's run against Configuration Manager 2007 sites that have many sub-collections.
- Viewing a report by using an account in a forest separate from that of the Reporting Services Reporting Point causes a "Logon failure: unknown user name of bad password" error.
- In environments that have many clients, the "Software 10B - Computers with a specific custom-labeled software title installed" report may take 5–10 minutes to open or to view.
- Software updates that are downloaded or imported to a Central Administration Site (CAS) may have a Downloaded status of No at a child primary site. This issue occurs when locale-specific data is missing for updates.
After you apply Cumulative Update 4, the following SQL script should be run against the site database of any child primary site that is experiencing this issue:
IF dbo.fnIsPrimary()=1 -- This only applies to primary sites
-- Expect to see result here if the issue exists
IF OBJECT_ID(N'tempdb..#CI_to_correct ') IS NOT NULL
DROP TABLE #CI_to_correct
-- Select updates that are in use and exhibiting this issue at the time the script runs
select distinct loc.CI_ID, u.BulletinID, loc.Locales
from vsms_softwareupdate u inner join v_CIContents_All cic on u.CI_ID = cic.CI_ID
inner join CI_UpdateInfo loc on loc.CI_ID = cic.ContentCI_ID
where u.IsDeployed = 1 and u.IsContentProvisioned = 0 and (loc.Locales is null or loc.Locales = '')
and u.InUse = 1
declare @CI_ID int
-- apply the correction
WHILE (1 = 1)
select top 1 @CI_ID = CI_ID from #CI_to_correct
IF @@rowcount = 0 BREAK
UPDATE CI_UpdateInfo SET Locales = dbo.fnCILocales(CI_ID)
WHERE CI_ID = @CI_ID
DELETE FROM #CI_to_correct WHERE CI_ID = @CI_ID
Additional changes that are included in this update
- 3031717 Windows PowerShell changes in Cumulative Update 4 for System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Added performance optimizations to decrease data replication (DRS) latency in hierarchies with many sites.
- 2998627 October 2014 anti-malware platform update for Endpoint Protection clients
Operating systems other than Windows
- The following operating systems are added to the list of supported platforms for software distribution:
- Mac OSX 10.10
For more information about the addition of Mac OSX 10.10, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:3013398 Hotfix adds Mac OS X 10.10 to the Supported Platforms list for System Center Configuration Manager
- Suse Linux Enterprise Server 12 (x64)
- Mac OSX 10.10
How to obtain Cumulative Update 4 for System Center 2012 R2 Configuration ManagerA supported update is available from Microsoft Support. However, this update is intended to correct only the problems that are described in this article. Apply this update only to systems that are experiencing the problems described in this article. This update might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by these problems, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this update.
If the update is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the update.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific update. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, go to the following Microsoft website: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which this update is available. If you do not see your language, it is because an update is not available for that language.
Installation informationInstallation information
Restart informationYou do not have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
Note We recommend that you close the Configuration Manager Administrator Console and any associated applications such as the Remote Control Viewer or Status Message viewer before you install this update.
You may be prompted to restart the computer that the Administrator Console update is being applied to if the Remote Control Viewer (CmRCViewer.exe) is being used during the update process.
You can avoid restarting by closing the Remote Control Viewer before you install the update, or by adding the REBOOT=ReallySuppress parameter to the update installation properties. Be aware that this parameter is automatically added to packages that are created by the Cumulative Update installation.
Update replacement informationThis update replaces Cumulative Update 3 for System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
How to determine the installation status of this cumulative updateThis cumulative update changes the following Configuration Manager version numbers and installation properties.
Site systemsThe CULevel value is located under the following registry subkey:
Note The CULevel value is set to 4 for Cumulative Update 4.
Administrator ConsoleThe version that is displayed in the About System Center Configuration Manager dialog box is 5.0.7958.1501.
ClientThe version that is displayed on the General tab of the Configuration Manager Control Panel item or the Client Version field of device properties in the Administrator Console is 5.00.7958.1501.
Endpoint Protection ClientThis update changes the anti-malware client version to 4.6.0305.0. You can find the version information by clicking About on the Help menu of the Endpoint Protection client UI.
New cumulative update servicing model for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
Learn about the terminology that Microsoft uses to describe software updates.