This article describes Cumulative Update 4 (CU4) for Workflow Manager 1.0. This cumulative update contains updates for Workflow Manager 1.0, Workflow Manager Client 1.0 and Workflow Manager Tools 1.0.
- This update can be applied to computers that have Workflow Manager 1.0 CU3 installed. If the computer has Workflow Manager 1.0 installed, you have to install Workflow Manager 1.0 CU3, Workflow Manager Client 1.0 CU4 followed by Workflow Manager 1.0 CU4.
- Workflow Manager 1.0 CU3 is a prerequisite for Workflow Manager 1.0 CU4
- Workflow Manager Client 1.0 CU4 is a prerequisite for Workflow Manager 1.0 CU4.
- To update Workflow Manager Client 1.0, you have to install Workflow Manager Client 1.0 CU4.
- We recommend that you test this update before you deploy it in a production environment.
This cumulative update includes all the features and fixes that were included in earlier cumulative updates for Workflow Manager 1.0. More information about previous Cumulative Updates can be found in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at the links below:
2799754: Workflow Manager 1.0 Cumulative Update 1
2902007: Workflow Manager 1.0 Cumulative Update 2
3104066: Workflow Manager 1.0 Cumulative Update 3
Features added in this update
- Additional support for renewing the expired certificates used in Workflow Manager farm
Before this update, renewing the expired farm certificates was not allowed and the expired farm certificates lead to an unhealthy farm. This update allows the Workflow Manager PowerShell cmdlets to update the farm certificates when the current certificates are expired.
- Added a monitor for checking farm certificates health
Starting this update, a monitor checks the farm certificates health and emits a warning event to the Application Event Log in the Windows Event Viewer 180 days before the certificate expiry date. The monitor warns daily if the certificate expiry date is less than 90 days away and starts reporting errors daily when the certificate expiry date is less than 45 days away.
- Added "Set-WFCredentials" PowerShell cmdlet
This update includes a new PowerShell cmdlet called “Set-WFCredentials” that updates the “Run As” account and Admin group used in the Workflow Manager farm.
- Additional platform support
Starting this update, Workflow Manager supports
- SQL Always On
- .NET 4.6, when using with Service Bus Server 1.1 with KB3086798 installed
- 5 node farm configuration, when using Service Bus Server 1.1
Issues fixed in this update
The Workflow Manager Backend service crashes intermittently with the following exception:
Dispatcher encountered an unexpected exception: System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterException: Cannot set unknown member
at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.WriteStartMember(XamlMember property)
at System.Xaml.XamlServices.Transform(XamlReader xamlReader, XamlWriter xamlWriter, Boolean closeWriter)
at System.Activities.DynamicActivity.OnInternalCacheMetadata(Boolean createEmptyBindings)
at System.Activities.Activity.InternalCacheMetadata(Boolean createEmptyBindings, IList`1& validationErrors)
at System.Activities.ActivityUtilities.ProcessActivity(ChildActivity childActivity, ChildActivity& nextActivity, Stack`1& activitiesRemaining, ActivityCallStack parentChain, IList`1& validationErrors, ProcessActivityTreeOptions options, ProcessActivityCallback callback)
at System.Activities.ActivityUtilities.ProcessActivityTreeCore(ChildActivity currentActivity, ActivityCallStack parentChain, ProcessActivityTreeOptions options, ProcessActivityCallback callback, IList`1& validationErrors)
at System.Activities.ActivityUtilities.CacheRootMetadata(Activity activity, LocationReferenceEnvironment hostEnvironment, ProcessActivityTreeOptions options, ProcessActivityCallback callback, IList`1& validationErrors)
at System.Activities.Hosting.WorkflowInstance.ValidateWorkflow(WorkflowInstanceExtensionManager extensionManager)
at System.Activities.Hosting.WorkflowInstance.RegisterExtensionManager(WorkflowInstanceExtensionManager extensionManager)
at Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.HostedWorkflowInstance.RegisterExtensions(IEnumerable`1 extensions)
at Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.WorkflowSession.ConfigureEnvironment(Activity workflowDefinition, IWorkflowConfiguration workflowConfiguration, IEnumerable`1 hostExtensions)
at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ConfigureSession(WorkflowSessionResumptionContext context)
at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.GotResumptionContextForProcessWaiter(IAsyncResult result)
at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.Isolate(AsyncCompletion callback, IAsyncResult result)at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ExceptionHandlingFrame(IAsyncResult result)
Incorrect workflow instance status:
The intermittent issue occurs when using remote database or SQL Azure for Workflow Manager farm. The update fixes an issue with a user-defined table type in workflow instance management database.
Failover issue when using SQL Always On feature.
Starting this update Workflow Manager handles the transient exceptions from SQL when Always On failover is in progress.
Modifying the SQL Collation for Workflow Manager farm databases fails.
Fixed capitalization of one of the stored procedures because it causes an issue when the SQL collation is case sensitive.
Get-WFFarm cmdlet reports an incorrect certificate thumbprint.
After rolling over the Workflow Manager farm certificates the cmdlet points an incorrect certificate thumbprint as one of the farm databases still has a reference to an old thumbprint. Starting this update, the cmdlet reports the new thumbprint.
Workflow Manager Client goes into an unhealthy state.
One of the exceptions in Workflow Manager Client while preparing content of the HTTP request is not handled and that can eventually exhaust the number of free connections in the connection pool used by the client. This can result in Workflow Manager Client communication issues with Workflow Manager Server. This update fixes the client to close the request stream to release the connection back to the pool for reuse.
A supported cumulative update package is now available from Microsoft. This cumulative update is available for download in the "Download information" section.
Updates that are included in this cumulative update package
- Workflow Manager Client 1.0 with Cumulative Update 4 (Full install)
This update makes some changes in core assemblies and client API for Workflow Manager and associated Visual Studio Tools. Workflow Manager is a multi-tenant, high-scale host for running and managing Windows Workflow Foundation workflows. This is a full MSI that can be installed on a fresh machine or
- On a machine with Workflow Manager Client 1.0.
- On a machine with Workflow Manager Client 1.0 CU1.
- On a machine with Workflow Manager Client 1.0 CU2.
- On a machine with Workflow Manager Client 1.0 CU3.
- Workflow Manager 1.0 Cumulative Update 4 (Update)
This cumulative update contains several software updates. This is an update MSI that can be installed on
- A computer with Workflow Manager 1.0 CU3.
- Workflow Manager Tools 1.0 with Cumulative Update 4 (Full install) for Visual Studio 2012
This installation includes activity designers, debugging and expression translation for authoring workflows for Workflow Manager 1.0 Refresh. This is compatible with Workflow Manager 1.0 Cumulative Update 4.
Cumulative update package information
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Prerequisites for Workflow Manager 1.0 CU4
- Software requirements:
- Workflow Manager Client 1.0 CU4 must be installed on the computer.
- Workflow Manager 1.0 CU3 must be installed on the computer。
- PowerShell 3.0 must be installed on the computer to be updated. PowerShell 3.0 is included in the Windows Management Framework 3.0 installation. Go to Windows Management Framework 3.0 to install this update.
- For computers that have Workflow Manager 1.0 installed, either of the following additional requirements must be met:
- The Service Bus 1.0 for Windows Server with cumulative update 2799752 must be installed on the whole computer farm before you install the cumulative update for Workflow Manager 1.0 or
- Service Bus 1.1 for Windows Server must be installed on the computer.
- Supported operating systems: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2
- Workflow Manager Client 1.0 can also be independently installed on the x86 and x64 versions of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2008.
- Credential requirements: Before you run the executable, you must have administrative credentials on the computer where you are installing the software. See the Workflow Manager documentation for more information.
For each computer that uses a Workflow Manager host in a computer farm, this update must be installed on that computer.
There are some minimal database changes that will occur when this cumulative update is installed. If you decide to uninstall this update, these database changes are backward-compatible and will not be rolled back.
You may have to restart the computer after you apply this cumulative update.