Pack and ship us your Surface
Before shipping your device back to us, review How to prepare your Surface for service, then complete the following steps:
- Check for physical damage. Physical damage (such as a cracked screen) isn't covered under the terms of the Standard Limited Warranty. Physical damage replacement will require a paid out-of-warranty exchange unless the device is covered by accidental damage protection. If we receive your device and it has physical damage, it will be returned to you without service. Learn more about Surface cracked screen or physical damage replacement.
- Validate that the serial number of your device matches the service order. Shipping the wrong serial number may result in delays or cancellation of your service request. Find the serial number on Surface devices.
- If you’re sending in your Surface Book for service, include both the display (sometimes called the “Clipboard”) and the keyboard. For more info, see Meet the new Surface Book 2
- Make sure you remove the following items before shipment, unless otherwise directed by Surface Support:
- Surface Type Cover (for example, Touch Cover or Type Cover)
- USB devices like a keyboard, mouse, or flash drive
- Memory card from the SD card slot
- Surface Power Supply
- Surface Dock
- Headphones, audio adapter, and other audio cables
- Surface Pen
You might be charged the price of missing spare parts or components, including but not limited to the Solid State Drive (SSD).
Follow the instructions on this page for the type of service order you have. To check if you have an Advanced Exchange or Standard Exchange service order, sign in at Device service and replacement.
For more info, download a PDF of the packing instructions for your device:
Keep your shipping receipt and make sure that you’re given a tracking number for your package. The original retail box should not be used for shipment. It will not be returned to you.
Standard Exchange for Surface
- Obtain a sturdy shipping box. Make sure it is rigid and in excellent condition with no punctures, tears, rips, or corner damage, and that all flaps are intact. Remove any labels and all other shipment markings from the box. The original retail box should not be used for shipment.
- Please do not use an envelope or padded mailing sleeve to ship in your tablet. The device must be received in a sturdy box as transit damage could invalidate repair eligibility.
- Wrap the item in bubble wrap, newspaper, or other recyclable packing material. Packing material will not be returned.
- Seal the box with packing tape.
Standard Exchange for Surface Accessory
If your Surface accessory (such as a Surface Pen or Surface Mouse) has a battery, remove the battery before shipment, as your replacement may not include one.