This article describesthe issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 7 for Microsoft System Center 2016Virtual Machine Manager. Two updates are available for Virtual Machine Manager,one for the Virtual Machine Manager server and one for the Administrator Console(x86 and amd64). This article also contains installation instructions for this update.
Issues that are fixed
- VMM UI doesn't honor the static IP when creating cluster.
- VM state incorrectly displayed as “Migration Failed” when VM with differencing disc has migrated due to Dynamic Optimization.
- VMM console crashes when enumerating Hyper-V host properties when all the following conditions are met :
- User is part of a ‘non-administrator’ user role
- User is NOT scoped for ‘All Hosts’ host group.
- VM cloning fails when VMM Self Service User or Tenant Admin User tries to clone VM with a one-connected VM network.
- Cluster refresh and changing Logical Network Definition properties takes longer time.
- Adding VMSubnet to a BGP Enabled VMNetwork fails with the error ‘Network Service plugin does not implement the requested interface IBGPManagementAPI’.
- VMM console crashes during Hyper-V properties enumeration when there is an uplink port profile misconfiguration due to removing and re-adding the host to VMM.
- Performance counters of VMs using Hyper-V replication are not displayed correctly when VMs are failed over.
- VMs migrations between hosts in a cluster are observed even when Dynamic Optimization is disabled since Windows Server ‘Failover Cluster VM Load Balancing’ does not get disabled.
- Highly available VMware VM using vCenter 6.5 being managed by VMM is not Live migrated to another host within the cluster.
- VM migration to host with different processor version is blocked even when “Allow migration to a virtual machine host with different processor version” option is checked.
VMM 2016 UR7 has the following new functionalities added:
1. New Azure subscriptions can be added to VMM by creating Azure Profile. An Azure profile contains details related to the azure subscription. Know More
2. VM updates can be managed through VMM. This feature allows patching and updating on-prem VMs (managed by VMM) by integrating VMM with Azure automation subscription. Learn more.
How to obtain and install Update Rollup 7 for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager
Update packages for Virtual Machine Manager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
To obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that has a Virtual Machine Manager component installed:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
3. In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
4. Click Important updates are available.
5. Select the update rollup package and then click OK.
6. Click Install updates to install the update package.
Go to the following websites to manually download the update packages from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
For information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
To manually install the update packages, run the following command from an elevated command prompt:
msiexec.exe /update packagename
For example, to install the Update Rollup 7 package for a System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager server (KB4496920), run the following command:
msiexec.exe /update kb4496920_vmmserver_amd64.msp