Reminder: The additional servicing for Windows 10 Enterprise, Education, and IoT Enterprise editions ends on April 9, 2019 and doesn't extend beyond this date. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.
Reminder: March 12 and April 9 will be the last two Delta updates for Windows 10, version 1607. For Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) customers, security and quality updates will continue to be available via the express and full cumulative update packages. For more information on this change please visit our blog.
Windows 10, version 1607, reached end of service on April 10, 2018. Devices running Windows 10 Home or Pro editions will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.
IMPORTANT: Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education editions will receive additional servicing at no cost until April 9, 2019. Devices on the Long-Term Servicing Channels (LTSC) will continue to receive updates until October 2026 per the Lifecycle Policy page. Windows 10 Anniversary Update (v. 1607) devices running the Intel “Clovertrail” chipset will continue to receive updates until January 2023 per the Microsoft Community blog.
Windows Server 2016 Standard edition, Nano Server installation option and Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition, Nano Server installation option reached end of service on October 9, 2018. These editions will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.
Windows 10 Mobile, version 1607, reached end of service on October 8, 2018. Devices running Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.
Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Addresses an issue that causes system processes to stop working when loading ole32.dll and tracking is enabled.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Calculator application from following the Gannen setting when it is enabled. For more information, see KB4469068.
- Addresses an issue that prevents Microsoft Edge from opening properly in certain scenarios when you select a link within an application.
- Addresses an issue that may cause the UI to stop responding for several seconds when scrolling in windows that have many child windows.
- Addresses a desktop and taskbar flickering issue on Windows Server 2019 Terminal Server that occurs when using User Profile Disks.
- Addresses an issue that causes a loss of audio when Windows hasn't been restarted for more than 50 days.
- Addresses an issue with evaluating the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows.
- Addresses an issue that returns an error when using certutil.exe to verify a certificate. The error is “Cannot find object or property. 0x80092004 (-2146885628 CRYPT_E_NOT_FOUND)”.
- Addresses an issue with using Data Protection Application Programming Interface NG (DPAPI-NG) or a group-protected Personal Information Exchange Format (PFX) file. Data you protected using one of these mechanisms on Windows 10, version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 or earlier cannot be decrypted using Windows 10, version 1703 or later.
- Adds support for a customer configurable safe list for ActiveX controls when using Windows Defender Application Control. For more information, see Allow COM object registration in a Windows Defender Application Control policy.
- Addresses an issue that prevents a user from signing in to a Microsoft Surface Hub device with an Azure Active Directory account. This issue occurs because a previous session did not end successfully.
- Addresses an issue that causes Disk Management and DiskPart to stop responding when presenting some removable disks to Windows.
- Addresses an issue that sends all input and output to the Non-Volatile Memory (NVMe) driver, which causes the system to stop working.
- Addresses an issue that causes the REFS.sys driver to stop working.
- Reinforces the Certificate Revocation List (CRL) on Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) machines for certificate-based virtual private network (VPN) connections, such as Device Tunnel, in an Always On VPN deployment.
- Addresses high latency Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) response times for globally distributed datacenters that may have SQL servers in remote datacenters. This improves the performance for all token requests coming to ADFS, which includes OAuth, Saml, Ws-Fed, and Ws-Trust.
- Addresses an issue that may cause a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) paged search against a Windows 2016 Domain Controller to fail. The error message is “00000057: LdapErr: DSID-0C090AB0, comment: Error processing control, data 0, v3839.”
- Disables Microsoft Visual Basic Script (VBScript) by default in the Internet and Restricted sites zones in Internet Explorer and the WebBrowser control.
- Addresses an issue with programmatic scrolling in Internet Explorer 11.
- Addresses an issue that may display the error, “MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.” when you try to expand, view, or create Custom Views in Event Viewer. Additionally, the application may stop responding or close. You may also receive the same error when using Filter Current Log in the Action menu with built-in views or logs.
- Addresses a reliability issue with automatically starting a virtual machine (VM) after enabling Hyper-V Replica.
- Enables Hygon C86 7xxx processor support on Windows Server 2016 for the China market only.
- Addresses an issue in Windows Update that may cause proxy server resolution to fail.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
Windows Update Improvements
Microsoft has released an update directly to the Windows Update client to improve reliability. Any device running Windows 10 configured to receive updates automatically from Windows Update, including Enterprise and Pro editions, will be offered the latest Windows 10 feature update based on device compatibility and Windows Update for Business deferral policy. This doesn't apply to long-term servicing editions.
Known issues in this update
For hosts managed by System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM), SCVMM cannot enumerate and manage logical switches deployed on the host after installing the update.Additionally, if you do not follow the best practices, a stop error may occur in vfpext.sys on the hosts.
This issue is resolved in KB4507459.
|After installing KB4467684, the cluster service may fail to start with the error “2245 (NERR_PasswordTooShort)” if the group policy “Minimum Password Length” is configured with greater than 14 characters.|| |
Set the domain default "Minimum Password Length" policy to less than or equal to 14 characters.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
|Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.|| |
Do one of the following:
After installing this update and restarting, some devices with Hyper-V enabled may enter BitLocker recovery mode and receive an error, "0xC0210000".
This issue is resolved in KB4507460.
|Some applications may fail to run as expected on clients of Active Directory Federation Services 2016 (AD FS 2016) after installation of this update on the server. Applications that may exhibit this behavior use an IFRAME during non-interactive authentication requests and receive X-Frame Options set to DENY.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4507459.
|Devices may have issues connecting to some Storage Area Network (SAN) devices using Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) after installing this update. You may also receive an error in the System log section of Event Viewer with Event ID 43 from iScsiPrt and a description of “Target failed to respond in time for a login request.”||This issue is resolved in KB4509475.|
|Devices that start up using Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) images from Windows Deployment Services (WDS) or System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) may fail to start with the error "Status: 0xc0000001, Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" after installing this update on a WDS server.|| |
For mitigation instructions, see KB4512816.
We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
|Applications and scripts that call the NetQueryDisplayInformation API or the WinNT provider equivalent may fail to return results after the first page of data, often 50 or 100 entries. When requesting additional pages you may receive the error, “1359: an internal error occurred.”||We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.|
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the LCU. For more information, see Servicing stack updates.
Install this update
To download and install this update, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates.
To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4503294.