This article describes the issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 8 forMicrosoft System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager. Two updates are availablefor Virtual Machine Manager, one for the Virtual Machine Manager server and onefor the Administrator Console (x86 and amd64). This article alsocontains installation instructions for this update.
Issues that are fixed
- Service deployment through VMM fails if the domainname provided is greater than 15 characters.
- ‘Get-SCServicingWindow’ PowerShell commandlet fails to return activeservicing windows if ‘-ServicingWindowFilter’ parameter is passed with thevalue ‘now’.
- When importing a Vmware template for Windows Server2016, ‘OS Configuration’ option is missing.
- Once the VMM 2016 UR8 patch is applied, VMware templates needs to beremoved and re-imported after a VM refresher job is run for ‘OS configuration’option to show-up. VM refresher job runs every 30 minutes by default.
- Virtual Machine performance counters in VMM fails to refresh.
- Bare Metal Deployment fails with the error ‘There was an errorcommunicating with the endpoint. The server name or address could not beresolved’.
- When a host in untrusted domain is managed by VMM, events with ID‘15030’ and ‘17140’ is logged in ‘Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS/Admin’ eventchannel every 30 minutes.
- Cross Cluster Migration fails for highly availableVMware VMs managed in VMM.
- VMM does not detect the OS version of Windowsclient if the version is 1709 or greater.
- QOS settings set out of band is overwritten by VMM
- Operations performed on a VM may fail in anenvironment which uses DHCP for IP address assignment while having VMM managethe same IP address range.
- Concurrent operations on Network Controller managedVMs may fail.
- Network Interface Card properties set OOB may getoverwritten by a VMM VM refresher job in SDN v2 environment.
- The VLAN/subnet pairs under ‘Logical networkconnectivity’ sub-menu of Host Network adapter properties are unselected.
- VMM console crashes when a self-service user enumerates properties of aVM with shared disk.
- Updates to memory and processor of a VM fails when an update isperformed on VM disk at the same time.
- SCVMM service may crash when multiple VMs are created concurrently.
- Deprecated VMM MP classes are instantiated when VMMis integrated with Operations Manager 2016 and above.
- Multiple VMs can be deployed concurrently from a VMstored in VMM Library Server.
- Performance improvements in time taken for StaticIP pool creation.
VMM 2016 UR8 has the following new functionalitiesadded:
- Ability to Deploy Gen-2 VMs with memory up to 12TB and processor up to240 cores.
How to obtain and install Update Rollup 8 for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager
Update packages for Virtual Machine Manager are available from MicrosoftUpdate or by manual download.
To obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, followthese steps on a computer that has a Virtual Machine Manager componentinstalled:
1. Click Start, and then click ControlPanel.
2. In Control Panel, double-click WindowsUpdate.
3. In the Windows Update window, click CheckOnline for updates from Microsoft Update.
4. Click Important updates are available.
5. Select the update rollup package and thenclick OK.
6. Click Install updates toinstall the update package.
Go to the following websites to manually download the update packagesfrom the Microsoft Update Catalog:
For information about how to download Microsoft support files, click thefollowing article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtainMicrosoft support files from online services
To manually install the update packages, run the following command froman elevated command prompt:
msiexec.exe /update packagename
For example, to install the Update Rollup 8 package for a System Center2016 Virtual Machine Manager server (kb4518885), run the following command:
msiexec.exe /update kb4518885_vmmserver_amd64.msp
Learn about the terminology Microsoft usesto describe software updates.