- Microsoft Update
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- The Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) 2.0
- Microsoft Systems Management Server Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates (SMS ITMU)
- The Svchost.exe process may spike the CPU usage to 100 percent during update detection or update installation. Also, the Svchost.exe process causes the computer to stop responding for various lengths of time.
- The Svchost.exe process produces an access violation during update detection or update installation. Additionally, you receive the following error message:SVCHOST.exe Application Error
The instruction at 0x0745F2780 referenced memory at 0x000000000 the memory could not be read.
- The Svchost.exe process leaks memory during update detection or update installation.
- Update 927891 resolves newly-discovered crashes that occur in the Svchost.exe process. Because of the access violations that update 916089 does not resolve, update 927891 also resolves the reported access violations that occur in the Svchost.exe process.
Note These secondary access violations were not exposed until after update 916089 was applied. The secondary access violations are not caused by update 916089.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:927891 You receive an access violation error and the system may appear to become unresponsive when you try to install an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update
- You may experience prolonged high CPU usage when you scan the computer for updates or when you install updates.
- The computer stops responding (hangs) when you scan the computer for updates or when you install updates.
- To resolve this issue, you must be using version 374 or a later version of the Windows Update Agent.
For more information about the latest version of the Windows Update Agent, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:946928 Information for network administrators about how to obtain the latest Windows Update agent
- Update 927891 includes update 916089.
- Although this solution should resolve the computer unresponsiveness and reduce the time that you experience high CPU usage, this solution does not completely eliminate high CPU usage. However, after you apply these updates, the computer should run in a typical manner.
Download informationTo obtain the latest WSUS version 3.0 client program, click one of the following links as appropriate for the operating system.
x86-based versions of WindowsDownload the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe package now.
x64-based versions of WindowsDownload the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe package now.
Itanium-based versions of WindowsDownload the WindowsUpdateAgent30-ia64.exe package now.
File informationFor more information about how to confirm the version of the files in the latest WSUS version 3.0 client program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Apply update 927891.
- Restart the computer.
- The WSUS version 3.0 client program is fully compatible with WSUS 2.0 SP1.
- The WSUS version 3.0 client program has been made available to the WSUS 2.0 SP1 server infrastructure so that clients can "SelfUpdate" to the newer WSUS 3.0 version. This update to the SelfUpdate tree is located in the Critical Updates classification and is identified as KB936301.
For more information about similar problems and resolutions, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Then, type the text of the error message that you receive, or type a description of the problem in the Search Support (KB) field.
Article ID: 932494 - Last Review: Jul 1, 2010 - Revision: 1