Automatic Updates Failure Content InstallNote The WindowsUpdate.log file is in the following location:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error
0x80070246: " Name of Update "
- Obtain the WIM filter driver from the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK). To download and install the Windows AIK, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, click Microsoft Windows AIK, right-click
Windows PE Tools Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password. If you are prompted to continue, click Continue.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER. MD c:\MountThis command creates a folder that is named Mount.
- Put the Windows Vista installation media in the CD or DVD drive.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:Imagex /mount DVDDriveLetter\sources\install.wim 1 \mount
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:CD\mount\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_07289f4cca5f6990This command moves to the source folder
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: xcopy GlobalInstallOrder.xml %windir%\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_07289f4cca5f6990This command copies the GlobalInstallOrder.xml file to the destination folder.
Article ID: 942968 - Last Review: Sep 27, 2011 - Revision: 1