October 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2
Important When you install this update (2995388) from Windows Update, update 2996799 is included in the installation.
The October 2014 Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup package resolves issues, and includes performance and reliability improvements. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines. Check out the fixed issues in this update. Also notice that there is a prerequisite and a restart requirement for installing this update.
This update package fixes the issues that are documented in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles.
Issues that this update fixes
List of the fixed issues
For Home Users:
- 2998224 Memory leak occurs when you play mp4 files in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2994774 Only five Windows Store applications are pinned on Start screen after OOBE in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1
- 2992811 Computer freezes when you switch to another account in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2996799 Device takes a long time to hibernate or shut down after you plug in an SD card in Windows 8.1
- 2996534 Rotated images in PowerPoint 2013 are printed incorrectly when you use XPS in Windows
- 2990172 SD card is not recognized when you wake up the computer in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2979583 Additional thick line is printed on a page that has an Excel chart in Windows
- 2997764 Loading indicator does not disappear when you play a video in Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2996804 Multiple printer icons appear when you unplug a printer in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2993220 iSCSI target does not send a session start notification on a Windows Server 2012 R2-based cluster
- 2990170 Multipath I/O identifies different disks as the same disk in Windows
- 2989936 An NTFS volume is flagged as dirty after each restart, and CHKDSK can find no issues
- 2989658 SCVMM crashes during live migration on a SMB-based storage system on a Windows Server 2012 R2-based Hyper-V server
- 2959146 Update for data deduplication to improve scalability in Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2957699 Confusing message from Work Folders in Action Center when you change or disconnect the network in Windows 8.1
- 2996808 Gray conversion of the RGB color is printed incorrectly through a PCL 6 version 4 driver in Windows
- 2996807 Print jobs are intermittently processed slowly through Windows 8.1-based or Windows Server 2012 R2-based printer servers
- 2996502 Sitka fonts cannot be printed correctly by using an XPS print driver in Windows
- 2996207 Network printers that use TCP/IP port cannot print after first document has printed in Windows
- 2995081 Telephony equipment errors when the Internet telephony system runs on a Windows Server 2012 R2-based DNS server
- 2990969 User can change proxy settings that are locked by GPO in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2988609 You cannot print fax by using a fax modem in Windows
- 2974313 A domain controller freezes when an event subscription manager list is long in Windows
- 2966407 Backing up virtual machines fails when using the CSV writer after installation of update 2919355 in Windows
Known issue 3
Known issues with this update
Text for DNS events is not rendered in DNS Manager mmc snap-in after you install August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (2975719) or a later version of monthly updates on Windows Server 2012 R2-based DNS servers.
View DNS events by using the Event Viewer and Computer Management snap-ins.
How to obtain the update rollup
Method 1: Windows UpdateThis update is provided as an Important update from Windows Update. If you turn on automatic updating, this update is automatically installed.
How to perform Windows Update
- Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen and move the mouse pointer up), tap or click Settings, tap or click Change PC settings, and then tap or click Update and recovery.
- Tap or click Check now, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If updates are found, tap or click Install updates.
- Select update 2995388 under Optional, and then tap or click Install.
For more information about Windows Update, see frequently asked questions on Windows Update.
Method 2: Microsoft Download CenterYou can also obtain the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center.
Download the x86-based Windows 8.1 update package now.
Download the x64-based Windows 8.1 update package now.
Download the x64-based Windows Server 2012 R2 update package now.
Note The update for Windows RT 8.1 can be obtained only from Windows Update.
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Update detail information
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must first install update 2919355 on Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2919355 Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update: April 2014
Restart informationYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace any previously released update.
File detail informationFor a list of the files that are provided in this update 2995388, download the file information for update 2995388.
File hash informationThe following table lists the thumbprints of the certificates that are used to sign the updates (.msu). Verify the certificate thumbprint in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article against the certificate thumbprint indicated on the update that you download.
|File name||SHA1 and SHA2|
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 2995388 - Last Review: 07/17/2015 03:12:00 - Revision: 10.0
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1
- kbfix kbsurveynew atdownload kbexpertiseadvanced KB2995388