Windows XP stops responding when you download updates from Windows Update
When you try to download an update from the Windows Update Web site on a Windows 2000-based computer or a Windows XP-based computer, you may experience either of the following symptoms:
- You receive the following error message:Initialization error 0x8007007eIn the Windows Update.log file in the Windows directory, you may receive a message that is similar to the following message:Error IUENGINE Determining machine configuration (Error 0x8007007E: The specified module could not be found.)
- Your computer may stop responding after you accept the end-user license agreement.
This issue may occur if there are corrupted or unregistered system files on your computer.
To resolve this issue, use the following methods as appropriate for your operating system in the order that they are presented.
Windows XPTo check the system files, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, and then type:Cmd.exe
- Click OK.
- Type: SFC.exe /scannow
- Press ENTER. Windows verifies the protected Windows files and may prompt you to insert the Windows XP CD to restore the files.
- When the file check is complete, type: exit
- Press ENTER.
Method 1: Register your system filesTo register your system files, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, and then type:regsvr32 /i Urlmon.dll
- Click OK.
- When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK, and then try to use the Windows Update site.
- If the problem repeats, repeat steps 1-3 for each of the following commands:
- regsvr32 /i Shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32 Msjava.dll
- regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32 /i Mshtml.dll
- regsvr32 /i Browseui.dll
- regsvr32 /i Shell32.dll
Method 2: Run the Internet Explorer Repair ToolTo run the Internet Explorer Repair Tool, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- On the Change or Remove Programs tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Click Change/Remove, select the Repair Internet Explorer check box, and then click OK.
- When you are prompted to detect and repair problems with Internet Explorer, click Yes.
Method 3: Install Microsoft XML ParserTo obtain the latest version of the Microsoft XML Parser, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
आलेख ID: 831429 - पिछली समीक्षा: 09/14/2010 16:18:00 - संशोधन: 3.0
Microsoft Windows Update, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- kbenv kbprb KB831429