Note To determine which OneDrive sync client you're using, see the following Microsoft website:
If you want to sync from SharePoint on-premises environments, sync another user’s OneDrive library, or sync SharePoint Online document libraries from team sites without using the preview sync client, you should use the previous OneDrive for Business application (groove.exe).
Both the onedrive.exe and groove.exe clients can run at the same time.
|Invalid characters – These characters in file names aren't supported when you sync OneDrive for Business||#, %, <, >, :, ", |, ?, *, /, \|
|These strings in file names aren't supported when you sync OneDrive for Business||.files|
|These folder names aren't supported in OneDrive for Business||_t|
|This folder name isn't supported when the folder is at the root level for a library||forms|
|Number of items that can be synced||SharePoint Online has a limit of 30 million documents per library. There are other limits on viewing a document library by using the web that may limit how you structure your files in OneDrive.|
|Size limit for syncing files||There's a 10-gigabyte (GB) file size limit for each file that's uploaded to the OneDrive for Business library.|
|Character limit for files and folders||In SharePoint Online, file name paths can have up to 256 characters. The limit may be less than 256 characters in some scenarios, especially if you have a very long URL path for the library.|
|Sync folder location set to a network drive||You can't add a network or mapped drive as your OneDrive sync location.|
|Shared with Me||You can't synchronize the Shared with Me view grouping of files from a OneDrive for Business site.|
|Elevated privileges||OneDrive can’t be run with elevated privileges.|
|Differential sync||OneDrive for Business doesn’t support differential sync.|
|Authenticated proxies||Authenticated proxies aren’t supported with the OneDrive for Business sync client.|
|OneDrive Libraries with Checkout or IRM enabled||OneDrive doesn’t support syncing libraries that require checkout or libraries that are protected by Information Rights Management (IRM).|
|OneNote Notebooks||See below|
|Open files||See below|
|Lookup columns in a library||See below|
|Office integration||See below|
|Windows specific restrictions and limitations||See below|
|Mac OS X specific restrictions and limitations||See below|
|SharePoint Server on-premises||The onedrive.exe OneDrive for business sync client doesn’t support synchronization of SharePoint on-premises data. If you want to sync from SharePoint on-premises environments, you should use the previous OneDrive for Business application (groove.exe).|
This limitation doesn’t apply to co-authoring scenarios when you use the Microsoft Office applications described in the "Office integration" section.
The OneDrive for Business library can't exceed the lookup column threshold. For more information, go to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
The OneDrive sync client for Windows supports co-authoring and in-app sharing when you use Office 2016 MSI and have the following update installed:
- Windows Explorer displays the first 35 characters of a site library’s name and site name combination for a library that you have synchronized. This doesn’t affect the ability to sync these items within the limits that are described in this article.
- Roaming, Mandatory and Temporary Windows profiles aren't supported. The OneDrive for Business sync app isn't supported in any configuration that doesn't let the user account write to the OneDrive for Business application directories.
Additionally, the OneDrive for Business sync app isn’t supported for client sessions that are hosted on Windows 2008 Terminal Services or Windows 2012 Remote Desktop Services (RDS). This includes both persistent and non-persistent Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI).
For the OneDrive for Business sync app to work as designed, the following requirements must be met:
- The application must be installed on the local computer.
- The user must be able to write to the user profile.
- Data that's written to the user profile must be saved to the local hard disk and be available without a network connection.
- Case-sensitive formatted disk volume isn't supported.
- Office integration (co-authoring and in-app sharing) isn't currently supported.
Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365The Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365 is a tool which can diagnose and fix many common Office 365 problems. The OneDrive for Business option I’m having a problem with OneDrive for Business now scans for the following issues:
- Checks the option to manually or automatically update the NGSC+B to its latest version.
- Reports all files that have sizes exceeding the limit.
- Reports all files that have invalid characters in the names.
- Reports all folders that have invalid characters or strings in the names.
- Reports all paths exceeding the limit and provides a link to this KB article.
Article ID: 3125202 - Last Review: 25 Feb 2017 - Revision: 8