Find the serial number for Surface
There are several ways you can find your Surface serial number—with the Surface app, in Settings, on the device itself, or on the packaging.
Find the serial number in the Surface app
The easiest way to find your serial number is in the Surface app.
If you have a Surface RT or Surface 2, use one of the other methods to find the serial number. The Surface app isn’t available on Windows RT.
Open the app (search for Surface in the search box on the taskbar), and your serial number is listed under Your Surface.
Find the serial number in Settings
Here's another quick way to find the serial number:
- Type "serial number" in the search box on the taskbar.
- Select View your product ID in the search results.
- Scroll down, and if you see the Windows specifications section, you'll find the serial number there.
Find the serial number on your device
Surface Pro models, Surface Go models, Surface 2, Surface 3, and Surface RT—To find the serial number on your Surface device, flip out the kickstand and look for the string of numbers near its base.
Surface Book models—The serial number for your Surface Book is on the bottom edge of the Clipboard where it attaches to the keyboard.
If you can’t read the serial number on the Clipboard, you can use the serial number on the bottom of your keyboard. Registering this serial number will automatically register the serial number on your Clipboard.
To find the serial number for your keyboard, turn the keyboard over and look for the number on the bottom next to the rubber foot.
Surface Laptop models—The serial number for Surface Laptop is on the bottom-center near the hinge.
Surface Studio models—The serial number for Surface Studio is located on the bottom of the base.
Find the serial number on the packaging
If you still have the original packaging for your Surface, you can find the serial number on the barcode label.
Find the serial number for Surface accessories
Cortana can help you find the serial number for your headphones, or you can find it by looking on the headphones.
Find the serial number with Cortana
If you set up your Surface Headphones with Cortana, she can help you find the serial number.
- On a Windows 10 PC: Open Cortana, select Devices > Manage Surface Headphones. Under About, look for the serial number.
- On an iOS device or Android device: Open the Cortana app and select Devices > Devices > Surface Headphones > Surface Headphones > About.
For more info on using Cortana with your headphones, see Set up Surface Headphones with Cortana.
Cortana isn’t available on Surface Headphones in all countries and regions. If Cortana isn’t available in your area, download and install the Surface Headphones app on your Windows 10 PC. Under About, look for Serial number. For more info about setting things up, see Set up Surface Headphones.
Find the serial number on the Surface Headphones
To find the serial number on the Surface Headphones, you'll need to remove the right earmuff from the device.
To remove the earmuff:
- Rotate the right earmuff of the Surface Headphones towards you—you should be able to see the inside of the earmuff.
- While firmly holding the right earmuff, twist it counterclockwise. Lift the earmuff up to detach it from the headphones.
- The 12-digit serial number will be on the headphone base. Take a note of the serial number before reattaching the earmuff.
To reattach the earmuff:
- Match the grooves of the earmuff with the headphone. The earmuff should be touching the headphone base all the way around.
- With the inside of the earmuff facing you, turn it clockwise to secure the earmuff onto the headphone base.
Note Some products might not be available in your country or region.
Some products might not be available in your country or region.
- Find the serial number on your Surface Typing Cover
- Register your Surface product—Sign in, select Register new device, and follow the prompts.
- Surface warranty: Frequently asked questions
- How to prepare your Surface for service