Note Some products might not be available in your country or region.
Some products might not be available in your country or region.
If your Surface isn’t working properly, try the Microsoft Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.
Before you begin
- Note that the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit doesn't work on Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2. It works only on other Surface devices running Windows 10.
- Make sure you have the latest Windows updates. See Install Surface updates for more info.
- Leave your Surface plugged in to power while downloading and running the tool.
- Make sure your Surface is connected to the Internet. If you’re having Wi-Fi problems, see Can’t connect to a wireless network.
- Save all of your files and close all open apps and programs before you run the tool.
- Download and run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.
If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.
Select the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for the version of Windows that you’re running. To find out which version of Windows you have, see Which Windows operating system am I running?
|Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro||Windows 10 in S mode|
|Download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro |
In the file download dialog box, find the SurfaceDiagnosticToolkit_SA.exe file, select Run, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
After you download the tool for your version of Windows, run it and follow the on-screen instructions.
How long does it take?
The diagnosis and repair time averages 15 minutes or less, but can take an hour or longer and depends on:
- Internet connection speed.
- Whether updates need to be installed on your device.
- The repairs that the tool needs to do to fix the problems.
If you still have a problem
If the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit didn’t fix the problem, here are a few more things to try:
- Make an in-store appointment: We might be able to fix the problem or provide a replacement Surface at your local Microsoft Store. Locate a Microsoft Store near you.
- Contact customer support: If you want to talk to someone about how to fix your problem, contact us.
- Get your Surface serviced: If your Surface product needs service, request it online.