If your Surface isn’t working properly, the Microsoft Surface Diagnostic Toolkit can help you find and solve problems.
The Surface Diagnostic Toolkit doesn't work on Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2. It works only on other Surface devices running Windows 10.
Run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit
Before you run the diagnostic tool, make sure you have the latest Windows updates. Go to Update Surface firmware and Windows 10 for more info. If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to run the diagnostic tool.
- If you're using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit on a work device, go to Surface Tools for IT, and then download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Business.
- If your work or school manages your Surface, check with your IT department before running the tool.
To run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit:
- Get your devices ready and gather information.
- Make sure your Surface is connected to the internet. If you’re having Wi-Fi problems, go to Surface can't find my wireless network.
- Save all of your files and close all open apps and programs.
- Plug your Surface in and keep it connected to power during this process.
- Find out which version of Windows you have. Go to Which version of Windows operating system am I running?
- Make sure you know your serial number. Go to Find the serial number on Surface devices.
- Do one of the following to download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit:
- For Surface Pro X: Download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Surface Pro X running Windows 10 Home or Pro.
- For all other Surface devices, download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit that matches your version of Windows:
- Download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro and in the file download dialog box, find the SurfaceDiagnosticToolkit_SA.exe file.
- Download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Windows 10 in S mode.
- Select Run, and follow the on-screen instructions.
The diagnosis and repair time usually averages 15 minutes or less, but could take an hour or longer, depending on internet connection speed, whether updates need to be installed on your device, and the repairs the tool must do.
Still need help?
If the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit didn’t fix the problem, you can also:
- Contact customer support: If you want to talk to someone about how to fix your problem, contact us.
- Get your Surface serviced: If you're unable to go to a store for service, you can send it in. For more info, go to How to get service for Surface, or browse support for troubleshooting steps.
Hardware and accessories
- Surface devices help
- Troubleshoot your Surface Type Cover or keyboard
- Troubleshoot your Surface Pen
- Fix printer connection and printing problems in Windows 10
- Fix problems with your PIN
- How to reset your Microsoft account password
- Troubleshoot problems with Windows Hello on Surface
- Surface won't turn on or wake from sleep
- Surface battery won’t charge or Surface won’t run on battery
- Surface update history
- Find the serial number for your Surface Type Cover
- Surface touchpad use and settings
- Surface warranty information
- https://account.microsoft.com/devices—Sign in and select Don't see your device?, then follow the instructions to register your device.