What does this guided walk-through do?
Provides steps to help you with:
- Returning a product you bought from Microsoft Store for exchange or refund.
- Canceling a subscription or pre-order you purchased through the Microsoft Store.
How does it work?
We'll begin by asking you questions about the product or service you're looking to return. Next, we’ll take you through another series of steps specific to that product or service.
To request a return or exchange:
Sign in to your Order history, then select Request a return. If you don’t see Request a return, your item may not be eligible for a return. For detailed info about the return and refund policy, see Microsoft Terms of Sale.
Items that may be eligible for return, refund, or exchange include physical goods like a Surface, Xbox controller, virtual reality headset, or packaged software. Digital gift cards and service/subscription cards may also be eligible for return (see Microsoft gift card terms and conditions). Digital goods like apps, games, add-on content, subscriptions, movies, TV shows, and books aren't returnable unless the offer or applicable law states that you're eligible for a refund.
Follow the instructions on the screen to get a prepaid shipping label for the return. If you can't get a prepaid shipping label for the return, contact Microsoft Store support.
When we receive your item and find it eligible for a return, we’ll either ship you a replacement or issue you a refund.
You can see the status of your return or exchange on the Order history page.
If you bought a Microsoft product from a source other than the Microsoft Store, you must contact that source to return the item or request a refund.
- Sign in to your Order history with your Microsoft account. If you have more than one Microsoft account, sign in to each one to check your order history.
- Do one of the following:
- If you want to cancel the entire order: Find the order or pre-order you want to cancel, and select Cancel item next to the order.
- If you want to cancel a specific item in an order: Find the order or pre-order you want to cancel, choose Cancel item next to the item, select the check box next to the specific item, and then choose the Cancel item button.
- Check your email inbox for an email confirming the order was canceled. If you don't see the cancellation confirmation in your inbox after a few minutes, check your spam or junk mail folder. If you still don't see a cancellation confirmation email after waiting awhile, contact Microsoft Store support.
Please see the steps at Request an Xbox refund. When you request an Xbox refund, you'll need to sign in to the Microsoft account that made the purchase.
Refund requests can only be made through the form. Our dedicated team is ready to assist you.
To cancel your Microsoft subscription:
- Go to Services & subscriptions, and sign in with the Microsoft account you used when purchasing your subscription.
- Find your subscription and select Manage.
- If you see Turn on recurring billing instead of Manage, select the "I don't see the Manage button" option below.
- On the next page, select Cancel or Upgrade or Cancel, depending on your subscription type.
- Follow the instructions on the page to proceed with cancellation.
In Israel, you have the right to cancel any recurring subscription with immediate effect and receive a prorated refund. For more info, see Cancel a Microsoft subscription in Israel.
Are you the person who bought the gift?
Unfortunately, only the person who bought the digital gift can request a refund. Please have the person who bought the digital gift contact us to process a refund.
If you don't see Manage on your Services & subscriptions page, or can't cancel or turn off recurring billing, try the following:
- Make sure you're signed into the Microsoft account you used when purchasing your subscription.
- If you see Turn on recurring billing instead of Manage, your subscription will expire at the date shown for your subscription and you don't need to do anything else. To see details about your subscription, select Manage under the name of your subscription.
- Check if a payment method needs to be updated. If it does, we'll let you know when you arrive at Services & subscriptions. To fix any issues, go to Payment options.
- To see our complete cancellation policy, see Microsoft Store Terms of Sale.