If you see a screen asking "Which account do you want to use?" when you sign in, it means that you have two accounts with Microsoft using the same email address:
- A “Work or school” account, which probably was created by your IT department
- A “personal” account, which you probably created yourself
If you’re tired of seeing this prompt, you can rename your personal account which means using a different email address to sign in to it. Doing this is safe. You’re only changing the way you sign in to your account, and it won’t impact any of the data associated with it.
- You use a Windows phone running Windows 8. You will have to reset your phone.
- You are part of our Xbox Developer community. You could lose access to some developer tools.
- Sign in to the Your Info page of your Microsoft account.
- Select Manage your sign-in email or phone number.
- Look under the Account aliases section.
- If you already have a personal email address listed there, you can skip this step.
- If your work or school email address is the only one listed, enter your personal email address or get a new one from Microsoft, and select Add alias.
Going forward, you’ll sign in to your personal Microsoft account with your personal email address. You might need to sign in again to some apps and Windows devices.
Article ID: 11545 - Last Review: Jun 22, 2016 - Revision: 11