Important This update (2919355) replaces update 2883200 . You don't have to install update 2883200 after you install this update.
If you're a Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 user, see What’s new in Windows 8.1 Update and Windows RT 8.1 Update?
If you're a Windows Server 2012 R2 user, see What's new in Windows Server 2012 R2 Update?
Important All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require this update to be installed. We recommend that you install this update on your Windows RT 8.1-based, Windows 8.1-based, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer in order to receive continued future updates.
Improvements in this updateThis update includes the following new features and improvements:
- Enables a more familiar mouse and keyboard functionality for modern apps and controls.
- Improves the web application compatibility of the Internet Explorer 8 emulation mode in Internet Explorer 11 F12 Developer Tools.
- Improves performance and reliability when you use multi-display configurations for portrait-first device experiences.
Issues that this update fixesThis update package fixes the issues that are documented in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles.
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must have the following update installed on Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2:
Method 1: Windows UpdateThis update rollup is provided as an important update from Windows Update. If you turn on automatic updating, this update is automatically installed.
- The MSDN and VLSC updated ISOs do not contain the complete set of fixes that are offered from Windows Update. Therefore, Windows Update and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) will offer update 2919355 again to the computers that are deployed by using the images in these ISOs. This is expected and does not trigger the full reinstallation of the Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update, but only one smaller component of it. The rest of the update will not be downloaded or reinstalled.
- Windows Update may offer this update again even when the computer already has this update installed. This is expected and intended to resolve a Windows Update client issue. Windows Update installs only package 2959977 . This resolves the Windows Update clients issue instead of all the packages included in this update.
Method 2: Microsoft Download CenterYou can also obtain the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center.
Download the x86-based Windows 8.1 update package now.
Download the x64-based Windows 8.1 update package now.
Download the x64-based Windows Server 2012 R2 update package now.
Note The update for Windows RT 8.1 can be obtained only from Windows Update.
Note The updates must be installed in the following order: clearcompressionflag.exe, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2959977, KB2937592, KB2938439, and KB2934018.
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
|Known issues that occur while you're installing this update||Resolution|
|When you install update 2919355 by using Windows Update, the installation fails with error code 0x80071a91.||Apply hotfix 2939087 , and then reinstall update 2919355.|
|When you install update 2919355, the installation fails with error code 0x80070005.||Apply hotfix 2975061 , and then reinstall update 2919355.|
|When you try to install update 2919355, the installation may fail with a "0x80073712 ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT" error. This issue is caused by some corrupted components.||Download and run the Clearcompressionflag.exe tool from the following links:|
Download the Clearcompressionflag tool for 32-bit versions of Windows 8.1
Download the Clearcompressionflag tool for 64-bit versions of Windows 8.1
Download the Clearcompressionflag tool for 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2012 R2
Note The tool runs silently in the background. No message is displayed when it finishes the cleanup. You can just try to install update 2919355 after you run the tool.
|Known issues that occur after you install this update||Resolution|
|If you install this update on a printer server, client computers may be prompted with a warning box that asks Do you trust this printer, and (or) the client computers may be unable to print.||Apply update 2975719 .|
|WSUSIf you install this update before April 15, the computer may stop scanning against Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Service Pack 2 (WSUS 3.0 SP2 or WSUS 3.2)-based servers that are configured to use HTTPS and do not have TLS 1.2 enabled.||Apply hotfix 2959977 .|
|When you turn on or turn off Enterprise Mode on the Tools menu, Internet Explorer 11 crashes.||Apply hotfix 2956283 .|
|You cannot uninstall IIS.||Apply hotfix 2957390 .|
|Your computer experiences a restart loop, or you receive a "Stop 0x7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" stop error.||Apply hotfix 2966870 .|
|User profiles may fail to load.||Apply hotfix 2985344.|
|Previously released Windows updates are reoffered for some systems.||Apply hotfix 3037986.|
Restart informationYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Article ID: 2919355 - Last Review: Apr 11, 2017 - Revision: 2