If you're worried that someone gained unauthorized access to your account, see Recover your Microsoft account and Microsoft account security info & verification codes.
To get back into your account as quickly as possible, try these basic troubleshooting steps:
- Verify that Caps Lock is turned off and your email address is spelled correctly.
- Clear your browser history (here's how for Microsoft Edge and for Internet Explorer).
- Try signing in to your account from a different internet browser.
If you can't remember your pasword or it's not working
You can reset your Microsoft account password by following these steps:
- Go to the Recover your account page.
- Enter the email address, phone number, or Skype ID you used when you made your Microsoft account. This could be any email address, or an email ending in a Microsoft domain like hotmail.com or outlook.com.
- If you have security info on your account, we'll send a one-time code to the alternate phone number or email address you gave us. After you enter that code on the next screen, you'll be able to make a new password.
- Enter your new password, then select Next.
For further information about forgotten passwords, see How to reset your Microsoft account password.
If you reset your password and still have trouble signing in, you may have changed settings in your account.
Want to sign in securely without a password next time? Use phone sign-in and the Authenticator app.
If you still can't get back in to your account, find your issue below and expand that section for help.